What a great week! ^_^ I feel like so much good has happened this week and over the past six months so I’m going to enjoy rounding it up for you.
Actions Last Week
~Work through one chapter of the secondary timeline
Three. Hmm. Maybe that’s why the rest of these goals look like they do.
~Make seven review requests (in person/via email/via blogs/via strangers) – go on! Make it two weeks in a row.
One. Aaaah well.
~Create and complete the new blog page
Yep. If you’ve not seen it yet, find it here.
June 2015 Round Up
Hmm. Actually, not that bad:
~Complete deep edits on primary timeline of ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’
*DING* And I’m moving ahead with the secondary timeline.
~Update this blog (and website!) to show Saar’s Legacy progress and include sales buttons for physical copies of ‘Silk Over Razor Blades’
*DING* Oh, no, wait, damn it! I didn’t do the website. So that’s a half ding. It’s more like a . . . *DI* -_-
~Make 30 separate requests for reviews on Silk Over Razor Blades (don’t panic, Illy, that’s one a day. One! You can do this . . . just breath deeply, okay?)
15. So I managed half. Better than nothing, but not good enough. Thing is, I’m not sure that these review requests are making any difference. I can’t tell if it’s time well spent. I’m resisting because I hate asking for things, but I’m beginning to feel it’s not necessarily an effective way to get what I need which is exposure. Sure, the reviews are great, but unless they drive a bunch of traffic here or to Amazon I’m not sure that it’s going to be worth all this bother. Hmm. Must think about that.
~Contact Dave for discussions re ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ cover art
Sorted. We have some thoughts, but our conversation got interrupted. In fact, I need to ping him another email after our half meeting in the street. o.O
Half Year Round Up
Same as Raven, I’ve been fiddling my tasks for the year as I go, but it’s worth taking a look at what I’ve managed to achieve.
- Edited ‘Silk Over Razor Blades’ following feedback from Angry Robot
- Drafted a novella (‘Dead or Alive’) that hit 36k words
- Released ‘Silk Over Razor Blades’ as both an eBook and paperback
- Drafted a novel (‘On A Knife Point’) that hit 89k
- Sent all parts of ‘The Chapters of D’nai T’keyah’ to newsletter subscribers
Just looking at that gives me the warmest buzz. 115k words I’ve written this year. 115k! And that doesn’t include tasks for PWG, redrafting any of my novels/novellas, or my regular blog posts. It doesn’t include any of the work DSB has done for Caladria or any of the floating bits and pieces I always forget to count anyway like rewriting blog pages and newsletters.
That is an astounding amount of writing and even if I did nothing else I should be thrilled!
Changes To My Plans
Well . . . I’m not sure that there is much to change. Keeping up with this list on a month by month basis has been wonderful and I’ll certainly keep going for the rest of this year and into next year too. But let’s have a look anyway: completed tasks struck out, changes/clarifications in red and additional tasks in green.
- Edit ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ to completion by end of September (including betas)
- Publish ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ through Little Vamp Press by end of November in digital and paperback forms
- Start deep edits on ‘On A Knife Point’ by end of December
- Send two more newsletters to subscribers. Send the first two parts of Dead or Alive, edited fully with feedback from PWG as the freebies.
Targets for July 2015
I know that DSB will be off LARPing again this month. That takes at least three working days out of the month. But . . . looking at the list above and what needs to be done by September, it’s not going to cause too must trouble. Just in case, I’ll be kind to myself this month:
- Complete deep edits on secondary timeline of ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ which ends the ‘deep edits’ process.
- Start and complete fine tuning of ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’
- Edit first part of ‘Dead or Alive’ ready to gift with August’s newsletter
- Create cover art for ‘Dead or Alive’ that is suitable for all parts and all three characters
Activities For This Week
- Complete edits on Crusades chapter of the secondary timeline
- Investigate means to produce cover art for ‘Dead or Alive’ cover
- Make two review requests (in person/via email/via blogs/via strangers) for ‘Silk Over Razor Blades’
- Read over PWG groups on first section of ‘Dead or Alive’
I’ve done a big ole loop-the-loop where ‘Dead or Alive’ is concerned. The story is being received so well by PWG that I know it will make a great subscriber gift. In light of that, I want to start sending it to subscribers as a ‘thank you’ for sticking with me. It’s important to me that subscribers get good freebies and this one is perfect!
In 2016 I’ll think about general release and print versions, but this year is about finding out which of the three characters interest people the most; Diavian, Michael or Kailah. Once I know that, I’ll know which one(s) to keep writing about and which one(s) to leave.
As for the rest, it’s no different to what I anticipated before: a small number of BIG jobs which will break down into a tonne of small jobs. Not to worry though, I’m getting good at this. I know what I need to do and how so now it’s just about staying motivated and not slacking off . . . not that such a thing tends to be an issue. 😉