Yes . . . In case you weren’t sure, I’ve decided to do NaNoWriMo this year. Since Raven is actually more than half way through with ‘Picking Out Curtains’ it seemed silly to cut her short when there’s no rush for that project. So we’re both drafting together. Not something that happens very often, but so long as I maintain 1,667 words a day and she writes 500 words a day, then we’re in a good position and should both be done by the end of the month. *fingers crossed*
But how did last month go? Let’s see . . .
Actions Last Week
~Complete another 20,000 words of ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ via audio read.
Yep. I think it was more like 22,500 actually, but that’s no biggy. The more I get done per week, the closer I’ll be to done. It’s getting tight now, so really I need to keep pushing.
~Play with new concepts for ‘Episode Three’ cover design
Yep. I’m still not sure I like it. I think I’ll post the ideas here and let you ‘have at them’ to tell me what you think. That won’t be in this post, but another dedicated to it.
~Finish deep edits on ‘Episode Three’
Sorted. I’m not done—not by any stretch—but the bulk of notes that had to be addressed are now dealt with. DSB took the first section of the episode into PWG on Saturday too, so I have a good idea of what needs to be looked at now.
October Round Up
~Complete editing on ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ with a particular focus on Lenina’s character growth—show the transition!
All done. Much happier with Lenina’s arc and, if I’m honest the progression of at least two other characters as a result.
Richard Trent is a hell of a lot stronger as a bad guy, with motivations that make sense and lead him away from daft decisions. He’s now called Jared, however, since Trent was just a little too close to Tristen for comfort. More than that, however, Kallisto’s arc is loads better too. She’s not just a bad guy any more, but a character with emotions and a real personal investment in what she’s trying to achieve. At times even I find myself rooting for her, even if she is a tyrannical sociopath.
~Format ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ ready for Kindle and CreateSpace (Kindle first)
Nope. Despite what I said above I’m not done with the edits. I’m happy I’ll be able to get the Kindle version out for the date I specified, but the paperback is definitely going to have to wait a little. I don’t want to rush it.
~Finalise ‘Dead And Alive, Episode Three’ cover art
No. As I said earlier, I’m not totally happy with the idea. It’s stronger than it was, but needs some reader feedback. I’ll sort that out this week.
~List ‘Dead And Alive, Episode Three’ as a pre-order
Again no. Oh dear. 😦 This is annoying because I could list it now. Hell, I could list all of them if I wanted to. But I like to make sure the listing at least has a cover and until I get that design finalised, I can’t put it up. *sigh* Darn my constant desire for perfection!
~Complete deep edits on ‘Dead And Alive, Episode Three’
Yep. Just working on the edits I’m getting through DSB’s journey’s to PWG to help me along.
Changes To My Plans
Completed tasks struck out, changes/clarifications in red and additional tasks in green:
- Complete first draft of Clash of the Animal Kinds (Mach II) by end of November as per NaNoWriMo rules
- Complete back end of ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ by end of November (final proof and formatting)
- List ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ for pre-order
- Publish ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ through Little Vamp Press in digital form by December 29
- Publish ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ through Little Vamp Press by end of January in paperback form
- Start deep edits on ‘On A Knife Point’ on completion of Clash of the Animal Kings draft
- Send one more newsletter to subscribers.
- Include giveaway copy of ‘Episode Two’ and ‘Episode Three’ in next ad hoc newsletter
- Publish Season One of ‘Dead And Alive’ episodically every two months (from August)
Heh, lots of changes this month. Mostly consisting of knocking things back. *sigh* Aaah well. I’d rather do that than rush and release something I don’t feel is ready.
Targets For November 2015
A lot of these are going to repeat last month, but what can I do? Needs must and all that.
- Finalise ‘Dead And Alive, Episode Three’ cover art
- List ‘Dead And Alive, Episode Three’ as a pre-order
- Format ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’ ready for Kindle and CreateSpace (Kindle first)
- Write and send Autumn newsletter complete with Dead and Alive Teasers and freebies
- Complete draft of Clash of the Animal Kinds (Mach II) . . . yes, that is what I’m calling it. Whuuuuut?
Activities For This Fortnight (by 16/11/15)
If you recall, DSB talked about reducing posts from Raven and myself to ensure that we’re both able to get as much writing done as possible. To that end, my goals will now stretch across a fortnight rather that a single week
- Complete audio read of ‘Walking The Razor’s Edge’
- Finalise ‘Episode Three’ cover design
- Write and send Autumn newsletter
- Have a Clash of the Animal Kings (Mach II) word count of 27,000 words
I don’t know how I’ll manage spread this over two weeks. I mean . . . really, all I need to do is split the jobs in half and then do them a week at a time, right? But it probably won’t be that easy. But that’s the point of changing things up here: to see what works,what doesn’t and then go from that. I think Raven and I will give this new method a period of three months and see what happens to our productivity and output then. After that we’ll have a better idea of how to proceed.
For now . . . wish me luck?