So, I exaggerated. Last week wasn’t so bad. I didn’t get much done, but it wasn’t that bad. And, if I’m honest, I can’t blame the boys for not getting stuff done last week. It was all me.
Look at this:
Actions Last Week
Write 10k words of ‘On A Knife Point.’
Nope. I think I may have written 500 words. If I was lucky. And I don’t think I was. Not that I didn’t have space and time. With all my evenings in tact, I had plenty of time to write.
I just couldn’t.
It’s that hole again. I’ve reached a point in the story where I’ve put my original outline to one side because it didn’t work. Not because it was awful, but because I realised pretty quickly that things were far too easy for Lenina. She was coasting. So my new outline introduces a few new hurdles for her and a major life event which should scramble things for her a little bit more.
The issue that I’m having is that I was so read to write the original version of my outline that I just can’t focus on this new one. I really, really am struggling just to put works down. It’s so irritating, because the bit I’ll fly through is sooooo close. But I want to get passed this bit first
Odd, because I don’t usually make a big fuss about writing chronologically – especially in this trilogy – but there we go. It’s crippling me and I need to figure out how to get by.
Activities For The Week
- Write 1k words of ‘On A Knife Point’ in the remainder of the month (that’s tomorrow, right?)
- Write 6k words of ‘On A Knife Point’ in the remaining six days of the week
I know that’s sneaking into April a little bit, but I have to do something. I need to get this moving or else I’ll never get back on track. And it isn’t so much the plan for the year that bothers me. More than I help getting caught in ruts as it makes me feel a bit useless. I mean, no one knows this characters like I do. They’re mine, right? I know them so surely I should be able to spit some words about them.
I figure if I give myself gentle 1k targets per day I’ll slowly work myself out of it. And I’ll also stop writing at 1k, even if I’m burning to do more. This should mean that the following day I have a good springboard to dive from which will keep the momentum once it starts.
Fingers crossed, eh?
Well… given that I usually write these posts a night in advance, I think I did pretty well yesterday. After the release of the next in my Bad Guys series, I wrote 5k words of ‘On a Knife Point.’ I had an empty house and was able to concentrate for the first time in a week. I guess daylight helped. I know I’m a bit of a night owl, but I’m far more productive in the daytime and having that time to work really did me some favours. A bit like having nursery time (which I continue to miss by the way).
So ‘On a Knife Point’ is now at 45k ish and really quite exciting again. The overall first draft goal is 100k, but I don’t know if I’ll make it that far. I also don’t think I should force it, given that I’ll then need to reduce the piece to around 70k. I guess if I write well, and as close to my final word count as possible, there will be far less editing to deal with. So that’s what I’m going to aim for.
Wish me luck!