NaNoWriMo 2012

black notebook and red pencil from OpenClipArtI LOVE this time of year. Everywhere I look people (of the blogging world) are talking about NaNoWriMo and what they plan to do. Should they attempt it or not? What are other people doing?

I’ve been so wrapped up in my editing project that I’ve barely given it a scrap of thought. Its been mental. Now however, with the last hurdle in sight, I suppose its worth trying to decide whether or not I should even attempt it this year.

In truth, my brain is fried. So filled with vampires, Egyptians, knives and blood that even when I’m awake I’m seeing scenes from the novel. I suppose that’s just how it goes sometimes. The fact that it really does look like I’m going to finish in time is also exciting me and keeping it at the front of my mind.

But would writing just for the hell of it, be a nice break? Probably. I love writing first drafts. I find it so easy and NaNoWriMo is so freeing. No need to edit or critique yourself, just go and go and go and go. You have to admit there’s something beautiful about having complete freedom like that.

The twins have settled into a routine of sorts; in bed by six and a couple of feeds during the course of the night. I’m not as tired as I once was and I could actually see myself managing to do it without having a meltdown. I don’t have work to worry about, because I’m still on leave and there are no other deadlines or writing commitments looming. Not that I know of, anyway. All of this means that so long as I am realistic about my expectations then there’s no reason why I shouldn’t make the attempt this year. Ha, did you see that? Talked myself into it.

One problem though.
I’ve no idea what to write!

I had this problem last year, but I fixed it easily enough by choosing to write up a dream I’d had which gave me the final scenes. That novel isn’t even finished, but this year I want to finish the novel. Even if I don’t reach such a massive word count (like I normally do) I want a complete story. I think that’s a more realistic goal than trying to reach 100k. Particularly since my story this year might not need to reach that far.

I don’t have anything in mind. I have a number of somethings. This time, however, I have a plan. I’m going to let you guys pick! ^_^ Bwah ah ha ha ha hah a ah ahaa!

Over the next two weeks I’m going to give you an overview of the stories I have in mind. I’ll give you an idea of characters and plot (though no spoilers of course!) as well as genre. Then I’ll post a poll asking you guys to vote for your favourite idea. The idea with the most votes will be the novel I write for NaNoWriMo. That interactive element will make it even more fun and I like the idea of not knowing what I’m going to do until the time comes. Yes, I know, I’m crazy!

So stay tuned. Come Tuesday, I’ll be posting the first of my ideas. Hope you like them!

What about you guys? Any of you joining the crazy this year? 😀

Advertisements

About Ileandra Young

I'm a thirty-*mumbles* year old (purple loving, cheese worshipping) author of fantasy, juggling a pair of beautiful twin boys with my burning desire to make up stories and write them all down. When I get the chance, I play games, listen to music, and in days long past I even ran a radio show. Though I occasionally write non-fiction, my heart lives in fantasy and my debut novel, Silk Over Razor Blades is now available through Amazon along with part two of the trilogy, Walking The Razor's Edge.
This entry was posted in Ileandra's Posts, NaNoWriMo 2012 and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to NaNoWriMo 2012

1. illogicology says:

I know just how you feel about first drafts. One of my biggest strengths as a writer is that I enjoy writing the first draft, and I’m pretty fast. I can draft a couple of thousand words in less than an hour on a good day and I’m having a whale of a time. The flip side to that is editing, which I find tedious, slow and I’m not very good at. It can take me a week to revise and edit something that took me half an hour to write. That’s one of the reasons I like NaNoWriMo so much, I can just write away as fast as possible and not worry about the editing for weeks! Best of luck with your novel.

• Ileandra Young says:

You sound just like me. ^_^ Revising is the absolute hardest and most tedious part of it and yet frustrating, because I know it HAS to be done. *sigh*

I think I really should take advantage of NaNo while I can. *cracks fingers* Bwah ah ha ha a a ha hahaa!

2. Heidi Street says:

I love drafting a new novel for the first time, the only problem is that it takes ages to actually get started. I’m going to start work on a regency style novel similar to that of Jane Austen!

• Ileandra Young says:

Ooo the Regency period is a great one a friend of mine had a Regency style wedding dress. So beautiful!

Are you starting in November with the NaNo crowd, or planning to do that now? 🙂

3. 4amWriter says:

Yes, I’m planning on joinng the NaNo crazy this year. No, I don’t have any idea what I’m writing. But it will be fun to lose myself in a story again after spending so long with revisions.

• Ileandra Young says:

Eyup! Its my treat after the craziness. I’m getting more and more excited about it. Enjoy; I’ll see you there! 😉

4. jmmcdowell says:

That sounds like a really interesting way to choose your NaNo project! I’m going to be too steeped in revisions on two WiPs to even attempt it this year. But maybe next….?

I might be the only one in my blogging group who won’t be participating, though…. Well, maybe I can be a cheerleader for you and the others!

• Ileandra Young says:

Having a cheerleader is always a great help. I find I tend to be far more productive if 1) I’ve set a goal and 2) if I’ve made that goal public. Couple that with people waving teeny flags from the sidelines and I’m well away!

5. susankarins says:

What a fun and interesting way to decide what to write next! I’m excited to see your ideas and I’ll definitely come back to vote:-)
    I already have an idea for NaNo but I’m still uncertain if I’ll do it this year. I think in the end it will be a last minute decision.

• Ileandra Young says:

That’s pretty much what I did the first year around; agonising for ages and ages and ages and then, come November 1st, just sitting down and typing!

Maybe I’ll see you there! 🙂

6. Writerlious says:

Sounds like fun! I’ve never done Nanowrimo but everyone keeps asking me this year and I’ve decided to give it a try. Excited!

What do you think?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s